The ability to combine knowledge of the rules of the game and use them in practice, the success in chess. With this purpose, the parents sent their children to the competition. However, many tournaments are held outside of his native city, so the chessplayers have to travel. The tournament in chess long and most parents do not have the opportunity to accompany the child to them. Especially when such visits are needed regularly. In such cases, the young sportsman sent to the tournament accompanied by a coach.
What questions from parents?
Questions quite a lot, let’s discuss and give answers to them.
Policy 1. issues of domestic nature
– If a child is travelling without parents, he must have minimum skills of self-service, it is important that he knew how to dress yourself, wash, eat (so not the coach had to feed him with a spoon).
– To choose the right clothes. Parents there are two extremes. They give either too many clothes, or not enough. To find a happy medium, you must ask the climate of the area where the child is sent.
– Children’s nutrition. You must inform the coach of the habitual diet of a young sportsman, not to get that child is not eating a dish that is served at Breakfast, and he went on tour hungry.
– The mode of the day. The trainer must know the usual mode of children’s day and on this basis to plan the day. For one athlete to get up at6 a.m. the norm, and for no other. In order athlete played in full force he should feel hungry, awake, refreshed.
– The health of the child. You must inform the coach about diseases of the child. Be sure to clarify if there is an Allergy, if so, what. As transfers a cold and have to compile in the way the medicine chest of the medications you give your child in such cases.
– You have to inform the coach about the personality of the child. Every child is special. In my practice there were cases when after the defeat of the child was very upset and reassure him was difficult. The coach should know, it is a normal reaction (i.e. this is the way he carries a stressful situation or needs to be given to this question special attention.
– All financial matters must be discussed prior to departure. A child should be given pocket money. If the child is small, probably not worth it to give the whole amount at once. Part of the money can be transferred to the coach. There are parents who give their child a Bank card. In this case, it is necessary to clarify if the ATMs of the Bank in the place where he goes.
2. The issues of psychological character.
– If this is the first independent trip of the child, then it will be the real test. It is very important to prepare the child psychologically, and this should stop worrying parents. Children are very sensitive and take over your condition. You need to convince the child that he was an adult and you’re proud that he has such an independent.
– If this is the first trip of the child, it is not necessary to demand from him the result. You need to make the trip holiday, so as not to discourage the desire to play. Children are very responsible and most of all afraid of not meeting your expectations. In my practice there was a case when the parents are well
-meaning set before the child task to gain 9 points out of 9 possible. This led to the fact that every time before the tour, the child was hysterical, he was just afraid to play. “Very well, if the child will go with a friend or comrade from the group where he is, he will feel more confident.
– It is important that the parents of the child was the link, now it is not a problem, as there are mobile phones. Better to ask the coach of the optimal time for communication. You should not disturb the child during a tournament or a training session.
– As a rule, on the competition of children accommodated in groups (2 to 4 people. It is very important that your child has lived with children about the same age and children should be psychologically compatible.
Recommendations in the article are not absolute and may be adjusted in the course of communication between parents with the coach.
Author Valery Semenov
FIDE master, honored coach of Ukrainechess
honorary member of the web-club Fenix-64